Thread: HELP! Silverado struggling to stay running

Houston Performance Trucks

Default HELP! Silverado struggling to stay running

I haven't been on here in a good while but I could sure use y'alls help. I have a 2001 Silverado 4x4 with a 5.3. To start off the truck has a new battery, alternator, plugs, and wires. So recently sometimes when I crank the truck it'll try to start, stumble, and die. Usually I just crank it again and it starts right up with no problem and runs fine. Well now its beginning to struggle to stay running. My volt gauge will be fluctuating, the throttle doesn't seem very responsive, and it seems to idle at a lower rpm (300 to 400). Truck usually idles around 500 to 600. The issue I'm describing comes and goes. If I turn off the truck and start it back up it'll run fine. Any suggestions? I'm going to try to run a scan on it tomorrow. Thanks guys

2001 Chevy Xcab short bed 4x4 Z71, stock 5.3L, 3 inch body lift, 20's with 315/55 Nitto Terra Grapplers

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    I haven't been on here in a good while but I could sure use y'alls help. I have a 2001 Silverado 4x4 with a 5.3. To start off the truck has a new battery, alternator, plugs, and wires. So recently sometimes when I crank the truck it'll try to start, stumble, and die. Usually I just crank it again and it starts right up with no problem and runs fine. Well now its beginning to struggle to stay running. My volt gauge will be fluctuating, the throttle doesn't seem very responsive, and it seems to idle at a lower rpm (300 to 400). Truck usually idles around 500 to 600. The issue I'm describing comes and goes. If I turn off the truck and start it back up it'll run fine. Any suggestions? I'm going to try to run a scan on it tomorrow. Thanks guys
    Have you checked your fuel pressure for either a clogged fuel line or bad pump

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Houston Performance Trucks Louie6.0's Avatar

Tie a carrot to a stick and put it out in front of it maybe the fucker will run its ass off

might also be your o2 sensors reading too lean and making your mixture too rich...

Houston Performance Trucks kaze_v8's Avatar

HAd the same issue on my old nbs, Would do the same thing until it wouldnt even start up, did all the suggested as above, finally realized it was the Crank Position sensor.
    Follow me @kaze_v8
    Projects:
    "La Palomina" 08 LSA Sierra Denali - Weekend Cadillac
    "El Moro" 90 300zx Twin Turbo - Weekend Warrior
    "El Alazan" 96 240sx VH45 Supercharged/Nitrous - Track&Street Beater